Best Tactical Backpack Reviews
If you are going to enjoy the outdoor adventures, you will need some great accessories those will make your adventure really enjoyable. A tactical backpack is one of them. Not all the outdoor activities need a tactical backpack, but f you are into something serious types like hiking, camping or climbing a mountain, you should consider having a tactical backpack. Expert recommends to have not just a backpack, but to have the best tactical backpack. But it is not easy to choose the best tactical backpack for you. The reason is pretty simple. There are an overwhelming number of products out there in the market. Most of them are very much user specific. They are designed and manufactured for particular need.
If you fail to choose the right tactical backpack for you, instead of support, it will give you loads of trouble. So this is really serious and important to find out the right tactical backpack for you. Here we have made a shortlist of best tactical backpack models. We have gone through a lot of tactical backpacks and then we measured what actually a user looks for in a tactical backpack. Taking the user requirements, the construction, features and customer feedback in consideration, we shortlisted these best tactical backpack. No matter why you need a tactical backpack; you will find your right match among these 10 products. Also if you want, if you have time, you can research your own. We have discussed the buyers’ guide to the best tactical backpack below. You can follow the guideline to choose the best tactical backpack from online stores or local dealers.
Why Do You Need a Tactical Backpack?
If you spend a lot of time outdoors, you should have a tactical backpack. There are hundreds of reasons. We are not going to describe the benefit of having just a backpack. Rather we will talk why you need a tactical backpack. The main reason is the strong and sturdy construction. The longevity of a tactical backpack is pretty amazing. If you are out for a longer time, this will help you a lot. And you can use this backpacks for quite a long time.
On an outdoor survival mission you will need to spend a lot of time outdoor, and you have to have lots of accessories to make that experience enjoyable and make your life easier. There are many compartments in a tactical backpack that will help you to keep your accessories carefully. Sometimes there will not be enough means to clean the accessories after you use it. The separate compartment will help you to keep them separately. The manufacturers are aware of what types of accessories you may need while you are on an adventure, and they design the bag accordingly. Sometimes the compartments can be custom made, according to your own requirements.
Another important reason that keeps the tactical backpacks ahead of the regular ones is the comfort. Tactical backpacks tend to have more padding and they are designed ergonomically. You will be able to enjoy the complete comfort. There are straps on the bag that will keep your bag firmly against your body. Some high end tactical backpacks will have padding on both the bags and the straps.
Tactical backpacks have hydration system. This is very important. While walking a long distance, it is not a good idea to stop every 20 minutes and then take the backpack off to drink water. So you can purchase hydration system to attach with the backpacks. They have straws and you can take a sip of water whilst on the move. If you have a tight walking schedule, this will help you a lot.
In an outdoor adventure, you will like to take all the necessary things that you need. At the same time you will like to avoid extra weights. This is particularly important for backpacking. So there you will find customizable backpacks that you can design according to your need. Sometimes you will not need all the storage of the bags, sometimes you will need something to attach with the backpack. Many models of tactical backpacks will give you this ability to add extra functionalities. These extra functionalities can be added to the backpacks or disconnected at any point. For example most of the high-end tactical backpacks have MOLLE webbing; some have D-rings and other attachment points. You can add your accessories or extra pouches with them and thus can make a versatile tactical backpack.
Best Tactical Backpack Reviews
We have gone through a lot of tactical backpacks. To make your life easier, we have made a list of the best tactical backpack. Now the question is how we chose them. There you will find a guideline below, a buyers’ guide to choose the best tactical backpack. There are several different factors; those should be considered to find out the best backpack. The problem is there is no single best product. A tactical backpack is very much user specific.
That’s why we decided what the requirements of a user are. What they prefer, what they expect from a tactical backpack, the best value for the price and considering all these we have shortlisted them. We hope that you will find the right product for you here from the top 10 list of the best tactical backpack models.
5.11 Tactical Rush 72 Backpack
- Durable construction of 1050D nylon and water repellent PU*2 coating
- Large external shove-it pocket, top exterior crescent-shaped organization pocket, two exterior, side gusseted zippered pocket
- Features closed-cell foam back padded hydration pocket with two back-to-back zippered pull tabs
- Quick access, non-scratching fleece-lined sunglass pocket
- Generous webbing on three sides with additional attachment points for versatility
This is one of the best and most popular tactical backpack in the market. This is extremely strong and durable. This is the largest of 5.11 rush line. This is for those who are into multi-day touring. It features separate zippered pockets and pouches. There is a grab and go handle that is for lifting the back. The handle is located at the top of the backpack. This compact backpack is of 47.5 liters capacity.
It has deep shove-it pockets; mesh pockets and a rear hydration pocket. The hydration pocket has a n opening for tubes. The shoulder straps have a wide oval design that fits around the shoulder and neck area. They are padded with closed-cell foams. This design is for distributing the weight evenly around the upper backs. The construction is strong and durable with water-repellent nylon. The exterior of the backpack is coated with water-repellent materials.
5.11 Tactical Rush 24 Back Pack
- Roomy main storage area, dual zipping side pockets, stuff-it pocket with integrated draw cord
- Reinforced grab and go handle, hydration pocket, zippered fleece-lined eyewear pocket and wrap-around MOLLE/SlickStick web platform
- Three mesh admin compartments, zippered side water bottle pocket and a hook and loop area for nametape and flag patches
- Durable 1050D Nylon construction with water-repellant coating and has two external compression straps and a contoured yoke shoulder strap system
- 2275 cubic inch/37 liter total capacity with twin drainage grommets, self repairing YKK zippers and grove-friendly pull tabs
This is undoubtedly one of the best tactical backpack in the market. The popularity of this bag is exceptional. The reason behind the vast popularity is not any single one. There are lots of reasons to like the backpack. The versatility of this tactical backpack is amazing. The MOLLE webbing is all over the backpack. This is the reason of tremendous versatility. You can add as many add-ons as you need. But the interesting part is the internal design is so much organized and helpful that you will hardly need to add an extra pouch outside.
There are upper compression straps, so that you can compress the pack when you are not carrying a full load. They don’t have any lower such straps but the upper ones work pretty good. The yoke harness is designed very smart to distribute the full load evenly across the shoulders. The shoulder straps are well padded and very adjustable. The sternum straps are removable; you may like it for more stability. There you will find attachment points for west belts, if you like.
It features the primary compartment with e a Velcro opening; there you can store various items. The pouches and the compartment will be good enough to meet most of the requirements you may have. And there is no bulk weight. The admin pocket is one of the best you can find. The construction is of this backpack is extremely durable. The backpack is made of 1050D nylon with water-repellent coating. There are different color options available for you to choose. The quality backpack you are getting is worth your money.
Condor 3 Day Assault Pack
- Features large load cargo capacity compartments with separate pockets to fit up to two 3L hydration bladders
- Equipped with BOlive Draby contour shoulder straps with d-ring for equipment attachment, sternum straps and waist belt for better stability, external side compression straps
- Durable and heavy duty carry and drag handle
- Two double zipper pulls on the main compartments assure easy access
- Foam padded back panel for extra comfort and maximum airflow
- Grommets on all compartments for draining
- Two large pockets on the back
This is another very popular tactical backpack. This is extremely durable and strong. The versatility and the solid performance have made it one of the best tactical backpack models in the market. You can carry your laptops and other everyday accessories in this backpack. This is very lightweight, yet tough. You can use this backpack for many different purposes.
The back padding assures the comfort. If you are looking for a well produced, solid and heavy duty bug out bag, this will be a very smart choice. The total capacity of the backpack is 50 liters. This is made from very strong 1000-denier, wear and water resistant nylon. The 7 big compartments are designed for you to keep your item safe. The backpack is ruggedized for military use. This backpack itself is a good choice for a multi-day touring. But you can even expand the usage because this is really a versatile one. You will get the hydration pack here. All the features are designed targeting the customer’s requirement. This is why it has been popular for pretty long time as one of the best tactical backpacks in the market.
Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack
- Constructed with abrasion resistant 1050-Denier ballistic nylon
- Amazing design with a triple coat of polyurethane for water resistance and a final coat of DuPont Teflon Fabric Protector to repel elements
- Features military grade nylon webbing for straps, handles and modular attachment points
- Genuine Duraflex buckles and hardware for strength and functionality
Click Here to check the price
Falcon II is an amazing backpack from Maxpedition. This is a very popular backpack and one of the best tactical backpack. It features MOLLE webbing on the front, left and right side of the backpack. There is a Pouch Attachment Ladder System (PALS) for proper distribution of weight of the gear. It can be attached to multiple points on the webbing. There are different colors available to choose from.
The sternum strap features a quick release buckle. The curved shoulder straps are foam padded. This padded straps works like a cushion and the loads are easily supported without any strain. The waist straps are also removable like the sternum straps. They are there to assure more stability of the backpack. There are two compartments and each will accommodate a three liter water reservoir.
The storage will simply stun you. There are totally 5 internal slip pockets and 2 zippered pockets on the front. This backpack will accommodate a lot of stuffs that you will need for a multi-day touring. If you are looking for an amazing product for a good value of price, this will be one of the best tactical backpack units for you.
5.11 Tactical Rush 12 Back Pack
- Durable construction of water-resistant 1050D nylon
- A versatile backpack, from a tactical assault pack to a hunting backpack to an emergency go-bag
- 16 total compartment for wide range of storage options, each on sized for specific use and use self-repairing YKK zippers
- Internal admin panel for organizing, a 60 oz. hydration pocket, a fleece-lined sunglass pocket to protect the eyewear
- An extensive wrap-around web platform is MOLLE and 3.11 StickSlick systems compatible, allow you to customize the storage according to your need.
- Offers external compression straps, adjustable shoulder straps, centered sternum straps for stability
This one is another popular tactical backpack and one of the best tactical backpack models of its kind. Almost everything on this bag flays open for easy access. This is the biggest reason behind the exceptional popularity of this backpack. The interior admin section is a three quarter zippered compartment where you can keep small accessories. It features a 59 oz hydration wallet and a fleece-lined sunglass wallet.
The backpack is very much versatile with a considerable wrap-around web platform. The external compression straps compress the backpack when it’s not fully loaded. The adjustable connectors and the centered sternum straps are for better stability. This tactical backpack is water-resistant, so that it makes your stuffs dry and secure in a climate.
The rush 12 is the smallest of the rush line by 5.11. This backpack is designed targeting the daily use. This is small enough to carry the laptops and other everyday accessories. This is nearly perfect backpack that you can use for short trips, hiking, traveling and much more. The products of 5.11 rush line are the ultimately the best tactical backpack units of time, you just need to choose according to your requirements.
Maxpedition Sitka Gearslinger
- Durable construction of 1000-denier ballistic nylon fabric
- Features military grade nylon webbing for straps, handles and modular attachment points
- For water resistance the bag is finished with a triple coat polyurethane
- Genuine Duraflex buckles and hardware for strength and functionality
- Single shoulder backpack to maximize the utility when rotated towards front of body
Click Here to check the price
This versatile backpack can be a great and loyal companion for anyone from a college student to a hunter. The unique single shoulder design allows strapping it around the torso in different style, intended both for comfort and functionality. This is very stylist and extremely strong built. The ballistic nylon is famous for being abrasion resistant and liquid resistant. This protects the stuffs that you have inside the backpack.
The well placed compartments are very convenient for use. The main compartment has enough space and can hold a 15 inch laptop. It comes with a 3 liter water reservoir chamber, with some pockets and pouches. It has PALS module webbing around this tactical backpack and with this you can attach any extra add-ons. There are different colors available. This is not for the multi-day touring. The interior compartment might not be enough for you to accommodate accessories. Otherwise, this is well built and focuses on comfort of the user. If this meets your requirement, this is really a smart purchase.
Direct Action Dragon Egg Tactical Backpack
- Strong, durable, water resistant coated Codura 500D fabric with multiple colors
- Features Patented Combat Vent system for increased comfort during prolonged use
- Unique laser cut MOLLE/ PALS system is low-profile, lightweight, snag-free and non-water absorbing
- Redesigned side pockets are equipped with elastic for expansion
This tactical backpack looks small but can accommodate many things together. The capacity of this backpack is 1520 cubic inches. For a 24 hours bag this is bit smallish. There are different colors available to choose from. The laser cut PALS webbing is a unique features. Unlike other conventional design, the manufacturer has taken a different route. They have built a PALs panel. It reduces weight and develops the look of the backpack. The Para-cord handle, heavy-duty invisible YKK zippers, the patented Combat Vent rear panel are some of the nice features.
This backpack cinches up to the back pretty much effortlessly. This is probably the smoothest cinch you may find in the market. You just pull down the shoulder strap cinches and the backpack will suck right up. On contrary the waistband is kind of weak. From the comfort stand point is it not up to the mark, but it serves the raw function of load transfer. Considering everything, this is really an amazing tactical backpack with a very natural feeling. This versatile backpack is smaller than other regular tactical backpacks of its category, but the capacity and the versatility is up to the mark. If you are looking for an extremely durable 1 day product, this is going to be one of the best tactical backpack for you.
Sandpiper of California Bugout Backpack
- Heavy-duty 600-denier polyester canvas construction
- Features three main cargo pouches with multiple inner pouches
- MOLLE compatible panels and rings on the front sides and shoulder straps for attaching and carrying accessories
- Can carry 2 Liter hydration pack in the back pouch
- Expandable main compartment with compression straps
This is an American made bug out bag, well known for its tough construction. The straps are designed for comfort and perfect fitting. The compartments are for ample space to organize accessories that you need. As a bug out backpack the performance is awesome. The bag is heavy duty and can carry any accessories. It has MOLLE panel so that you can attach any extra add-ons if you need. This is capable of carrying 2 liter hydration pack in the back pouch.
The calm-shell main compartment allows easy access. The shoulder harness is padded and that offers a very comfortable experience. The admin panel with multiple open slots and zippered pocket offers enough storage options for various equipments. The problem with the backpack is it’s not waterproof. But we found some customer reviews where they said that the back is water resistant. If it’s not heavy rain outside, it can protect your stuffs and keep them dry. Another issue is the weight. The tough built bag is pretty heavy compared to the other models of its category. If you can deal with these issues, overall the backpack is a smart choice.
Monkey Paks Tactical Backpack Bundle with 2.5L Hydration Water Bladder and 3 Molle Bags
- Tough an durable 600D nylon construction with heavy duty big teeth zippers with Para-cord
- 3 MOLLE attachment included with the backpack
- Features ample space for a 3 days excursion
- 5 Liter large mouth hydration bladder
- MOLLE webbing to attach all the requirements
If you are looking for an extremely built multiday tactical backpack, this is one of the best choices. With the 600D nylon construction this backpack from Monkey Paks is very strong and durable. For the roughest terrain, you can take this as a loyal companion. The stitching is very solid and it features big teeth secured zippers. There are functional MOLLE attachment points for you to add accessories. It features enough compartments for organizing a lot of stuffs properly. This backpack comes with a 2.5 Liter hydration capacity. It has compression straps so that you can compress the back when it is not fully loaded. The sternum straps and the waist belt are for stability and the performance is pretty impressive. The shoulder harness is much comfortable with enough padding.
But plastic buckle you may find of poor quality. There are few other drawbacks like some clients did not like the straps very much. The additional MOLLE packs are not very interesting. Like many others we also did not like the three small packs on the side, this looks funny. But the price is a very big turn on. You will get this strong backpack at a very affordable price. So if you can overlook and deal with the minor issues, overall this is really an impressive product and definitely one of the best tactical backpacks in the market.
Mens Tactical Gear Molle Hydration Ready Sling Shoulder Backpack Daypack Bag
- Tough construction of 600D Denier Polyester for daily durable user
- Hydration pocket accommodates 2 Liters bladder, pass through slot at top for water tube
- 3 zippered front storage, 1 zippered main storage, 1 zippered hydration rear pocket,
- MOLLE straps, d-rings, attachment points for pouches, accessories etc
- Adjustable and padded shoulder straps
This is another one sling tactical backpack. You can carry many things in this versatile backpack. This is a tough yet comfortable backpack for single day use. This offers ample space for you stuffs. The look is also exceptional. It had different compartments so that you can organize your items properly. There are MOLLE straps and D-rings and other attachment points so that you can add extra pouches with the backpack.
This is pretty small but the design focuses on the details. That is the reason you will like it. You cannot use it for multiday excursion. But for a single day use, this works really great. Despite some minor issue that you can easily ignore this one is a great purchase.
How to Choose the Best Tactical Backpack
It’s not always easy to choose the right tactical backpacks. Yes it’s easy if you are looking for something good-looking. But during purchase of a tactical backpack, functionalities reign over look. That is really important to choose the right match for you, according to your need. You should also choose something that will allow you to connect or disconnect any extras that you might need. There is no point of purchasing a heavy, high-volume backpack if you are never going to use it, o if you don’t have the strength to carry the backpack when it’s full. Thus choosing a backpack that is not right fit, might lead to frustration. There are some considerations you will need to think of while making a decision of purchasing a tactical backpack. Let’s have a look.
- Comfort: The first consideration is the comfort. No matter what is your purpose, what type of outdoor adventure you are into, the tactical backpack must be comfortable. Tactical gears are designed to carry heavy gears, but that does not mean that they cannot be comfortable. The manufacturers design the bag accordingly. Regardless you are a soldier, or a hiker or someone adventurous, the backpack must be comfortable. Now the question is how you will figure it out. The padding and the straps are the answers.
The best tactical backpack with have wide straps and air channels. There will be a good number of straps. Single strap backpacks are not that comfortable. These will help you to keep the equipments in place. It is really difficult when the backpack moves; this is the last thing you will want to happen. During sensitive activities of while you are on a mission, this is really troublesome. The straps will help the bag to be exactly where it should be. Comfortable backpacks might be a bit more expensive.
The customizable backpacks are the most popular of recent days. The customized backpack can be fit on the wearer’s back. To keep the backpack on place, you will need to fasten around the stomach or chest. This is really important if you are going to walk a long distance. There are different types of straps for comfortable fits. The sternum straps are included in most high quality tactical backpacks. They take the pressure off your shoulder. They are fastened with clips and they run shoulder to shoulder. The lumbar straps are there to get you relief from back pain. The lower back of our body, refers to lumbar, carries most of the weight and that causes back pain. Lumbar straps fasten from hip to hip across the stomach. These straps make sure that the hip is bearing the weight instead of lumber area or the shoulder. Padding is there in between your body and the backpack. If you don’t have sufficient foam padding, you will feel a lot of pain. The best tactical backpack should have mesh padded back.
- Style: There are three types of tactical backpacks. Tactical MOLLE backpacks are mainly used by the USA and NATO forces. The name comes from Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment (MOLLE). This is customizable to carry different equipments. You can attach different modules according to your need. This is the most important feature of this type of tactical backpacks.
Another type if the tactical sling backpacks. This is with lots of space and simply designed. This is perfect for carrying books and attending classes. The durable backpack is sometime waterproof. They can carry heavy loads. The third type is the tactical laptop backpack. They offer the best protection to your laptop. It is also great for carrying other electric devices. They are durable and rugged. They are extremely waterproof and heavily padded. So if they fall down, the padding will take care of all the electronic devices inside the backpack. While choosing the best tactical backpack for you, always consider the purpose. Where are you going to use the backpacks? And then decide accordingly.
- Capacity: This is a very important feature to consider. And more importantly the whole thing depends on you. This feature is very much user specific. How much weight you have to weight and how much weight you can carry, are the ultimate questions. The bigger is not always the better. You always have to consider that the higher the volume, the more weight you have to carry. So ask yourself some questions and then be honest with your answers. What is the duration of your outing? What types of activities you are looking to perform with the backpack? How many items are you usually going to need? Are you going to add any extra add-ons?
With the answers of those questions above, you will get an idea. A generic idea is something around 30 liters. This is ideal for carrying all the personal accessories for one day. If you are going for a longer outing, then consider something not less than 40 liters. If in case you need extra space, consider the MOLLE backpacks, those are of best use and will never let you down.
- Compartments: Compartments is a feature that clearly depends on the users’ requirement. If you are a person who likes thing to be organized perfectly. Then this is going to be your option, backpacks with more compartments. On the other hand, if you are not that much organized then more compartments will confuse you. The best tactical backpack will meet the personal requirements that you have. It’s a good idea to purchase a backpack that comes with compartments of different sizes.
Here we will find two types of backpacks. The top loader backpacks are smaller and lighter. The tactical sling backpacks and the tactical laptop backpacks are of this type. There are few compartments and they have enough space to organize. This offers you a non-stress experience while trying to find accessories. Top loaders are best for carrying bigger and electronic devices. On the other hand the front loaders are easy to access from the front. They come with multiple compartments to allow you to store all the devices and accessories in spate pockets. This will help you to be more organized.
- Materials: The material is responsible for the durability and the strength of the tactical backpack. Some most common materials are nylon, rip-stop nylon, polyester, canvas etc. Each of them has their own pros and cons. Nylon is extremely strong and dries quickly. Rip-stop is even stronger than nylon. It is created by weaving extra-large threads into traditional nylon. This is a very popular material of modern times.
Polyester is no strong as the previous two. But it gives more protection from UV light. Canvas is used to design old fashioned backpack. The material is not new, but yet very durable. The downside is the weight. Backpacks made of canvas are relatively heavy.
- Color: While talking about the factors, most of the people do not consider color an important point. But while purchasing, this plays a vital role. The color is totally one’s personal preference. If you are in a job where you require a tactical backpack, then you should go for some color that blends easily with your uniform or your dress. Some prefer military-style camouflage. There are lots of different colors available.
- Price: Price is another factor you cannot ignore. But it is more important to buy high quality tactical backpacks than saving the money. Besides you always have to make sure that you are getting the best value for the price. The cheaper tactical backpacks will not be durable and high quality. So make sure that the backpack you are buying meets all the requirements.
A tactical backpack is something that you will need always during outing. These are designed to be strong. The top 10 backpacks that we have discussed above are the top quality tactical backpacks and the most popular ones. As we discussed earlier, always make sure that the tactical backpack is comfortable and you are getting the best value for price. The best idea is, always start from the ending. Think of the end purpose. Where you are taking the backpack? How long you will be out there? And always be honest with the answers. Now combine the answers and you will get the shortlist of best tactical backpack for you.
Although at the end, it all comes down to personal preference. But the decision is pretty important. A wrong choice can increase physical strain. That will definitely not make your adventure or other outdoor experiences enjoyable. Do not think that the research is waste of time. It is true that this is time consuming to research your own, which is why we came up with the list. Take assistance from the guides as well. Happy shopping!